40 Best HTML Editors You Should Use in 2022 (Free & Paid)
Are you a website designer or a web developer? Then online HTML Editors are the inevitable tools for you! These subtle programs can check various errors and help the designers to create a top-notch website. Managing, creating, and editing countless web pages has never been so fuss-free and easier.
Those striving days were gone when you required typing all the codes manually. Now more people convert from html to wordpress to WordPress themes. Many webmasters still prefer to accomplish manually. But for those who don’t want to do that, online HTML Editors are there for them which helps to curtail their huge burden.
Here in this blog, we have brought for you the best HTML Editors which are both available in free and as well as paid versions.
What is an HTML Editor?
HTML Editor creates a language code that helps to edit the HTML (Hypertext Markup Language) easily. This is a text-based tool that can edit the code directly and someone can even get the preview from it.
Some webmasters still write the code, while most of the webmasters take the advantages of HTML editors. The HTML editor makes the web developers familiar with the HTML which in turn allows you to understand the code properly. Presently webmasters are using HTML editor to maintain and create their websites. Hence, HTML editors are the most valuable tools for web developers.
It even helps to check errors and allows you to make experiments with different layouts available in the editor. The fundamentals of HTML editor help to write code by highlighting syntaxes and inserting commonly used HTML structures. It also provides an auto-completion facility.
Main Types of Editors: WYSIWYG Editors vs. Textual HTML
WYSIWYG (What You See is What You Get) Editors
WYSIWYG Editors create text or other pages in such a manner that it can be viewed by excluding HTML. Those who do not have the basic knowledge of code writing programs can also use this editor to develop a website.
WYSIWYG editors are also useful to those developers having coding knowledge but want to see the result before the final format. Sometimes, it is required to visualize the final development before completion or publication like app development, website building, content management, and so on.
Textual HTML Editors
Textual HTML editor is different from the WYSIWYG editor. The developer should have a minimum knowledge of HTML. Textual HTML editor can open a single file, whole project, or multiple projects as and when it is required. However, the developer does not have the option to see a live preview of the work. The merit of using Textual HTML Editor is that it can optimize the website for search engines. With the help of this type of HTML editor, you can easily optimize your web pages.
This HTML editor type provides you with more customized facilities to make your HTML editing more comfortable. The Textual HTML Editors are compatible with very popular platforms like Windows, Linux, macOS.
40 Best Online HTML Editors in 2022
- It permits you to opt for diverse versions of the language.
- JSBin supports testing on mobile.
- It will quickly demonstrate to you the real-time output for your code.
It possesses both a free and a paid version for its users. You can efficiently use Codepen with writing, education, and teams.
- You can get complete privacy with Codepen.
- You can also check the output of your code on various computers and devices.
Atom is the most popular WYSIWYG editor available in today’s market. The users of macOS X, Linux, and Windows can easily make use of this HTML editor. It comes with auto-completion features to provide you with the fastest possible result. The interface of this HTML editor is quite simple in comparison to other available HTML editors.
- It handles numerous panes
- It is a cross-platform tool for HTML editing and permits the user to go for cross-platform editing.
- It also contains a merged package manager.
- It has some interesting features like playback as well as macro recording.
This free HTML editor edited by the W3C is particularly interesting since its master’s standards are still under development. This is why Amaya is particularly suitable for demonstrations of new software.
- Amaya includes a collaborative annotation application based on Resource Description Framework, XLink, and XPointer.
- You can display and partially edit XML documents.
6. Sublime Text
Sublime Text, the most HTML editor helps you select numerous lines at a single time. Not only this, but you can change the selected lines simultaneously without facing any problem.
- It supports a multicolor scheme.
- It contains an auto-complete option.
- It also supports UTF8 BOMs in .gitignore files.
Are you a professional graphic designer or website designer? Try one of the best HTML Editor, Adobe Dreamweaver CC A for website designing? It can be integrated with any Adobe CC suite software. The visual media querying elements and fluid grid layouts is very handy to design mobile friendly and responsive website designs.
- Bootstrap integration are available to make responsive website designs,
- It comes with multilingual feature and a seamless coding option with modern UI,
- It comes with emmet abbreviations with built-in VS-code that makes the CSS and HTML more faster,
- The integrated command line interface helps the user to run the distributed version control system, Git from the command prompt,
- It comes with powerful linting tool spotting errors during coding.
If you are looking for a light-weighted HTML Editor then Brackets can be the best option for you. Brackets allow the user to easily toggle between their browser view and the source code. It is mainly developed for macOS.
- In-line editors, pre-processor support and live preview options are available,
- For effective and fast extension management an inbuilt extension management tool is integrated within this software.
10. GNU Emacs
GNU Emacs is one of the best real-time HTML editors that run on multiple OS platforms including macOS, BSDS, Linux and Windows.
- The Customizable Lisp interface GNU Emacs allows the full extension of the integrated development environment,
- It’s free software that provides Unicode support and the coder can code in any language from Chinese to Hebrew.
Are you searching for a powerful and professional project integration HTML editor? Try BBEdit one of the best known HTML editors that is specially designed for the users of Mac OS X.
- It comes with key features of code folding, SFTP and Syntax coloring,
- It provides the user an integrated spell checker and Auto text and code completion option
12. Komodo Edit
It is a fast and free HTML editor that allows the user to run in various operating systems including Linux, macOS X and windows. It comprises various advanced coding features such as a project wizard and a debugging tool.
- It offers expentension support and macros, code coloring and syntax highlighting options.
Netbeans is a handy open source HTML editor, especially, for HTML5 language users. The free highlighting features, templates and wizards give the fastest possible results for the editor.
- It’s a powerful integrated Java IDE platform for building responsive web applications
- The developer can develop lots of mobile and desktop applications such as java card applications and Java ME embedded applications that can be installed in macOS, Linux and Windows.
Are you a pro website programmer or developer? Bluefish is the best free HTML editor for you then. The user can run it on any OS like OpenBSD, Solaris and Windows a swell.
- It provides auto tag closing for nested languages,
- It comes with the option of auto-recovery of the data during shutdown or crash
- Bluefish is a light-weight graphical user interface editor
- It comes up with strong searching and replacing options.
TextMate is a perfect HTML editor for the Mac users. The auto-indent property of this editor allows the user to work on the IDEs quite conveniently.
- It consists of foldable coding blocks and also has a Syntax highlighting option,
- It’s auto pairing option allows the user a quick overview and navigation,
- The user can get the clipboard history and run the commands of the Shells within the documents.
BlueGriffon is a simple HTML editor that comes with all important features of creating a web page. It supports all platforms including Mac, Linux and windows.
- The user can easily change the border colour for adjusting the styles of the border
- It allows the user to access multiple themes for the source view
- Lots of shortcuts available for CSS editing
17. Light Table
Light Table is a next generation HTML editor that comes with advanced features for the developers and coders. The user can make an inline evaluation of their codes through the displayed inline results.
- It’s a malleable editor consists of behavior-object tags and keymaps that allows the user to shape their IDE as per their needs
- It comprises a powerful interface and plugin manager tool for the developers.
Do you need a professional and convenient HTML editor that makes your job easier? Then, try the WYSIWYG HTML editor that offers built-in HTML tools to open W3C markup validation.
- The code editor can view the webpage through split-screen preview option
- The web developer can publish the website wherever they want with the help of FTP uploader.
Coda is one of the best HTML editors for premium website developers. The user can easily manage and organize the codes of their website with the advanced features of Coda.
- It allows the CSS user to edit the codes in real-time from their program window
- The developer can easily publish their website live using software.
- The user can easily manage the functions and classes of their project with the feature of side-wide indexing.
UltraEdit is one of the most powerful as well as user-friendly HTML editors that helps the users to edit their program without facing any difficulty. This HTML editor is available in both versions, paid as well as free.
- Compatible to users of Mac, Linux and Windows.
- It supports FTPS, SFTP as well as FTP.
- It has a feature of split-window editing.
- With the help of LiveWeave, users can upload their progress file anytime they wish for.
- LiveWeave provides an ideal platform to edit code, practice HTML and try out different innovative ideas.
22. Aptana Studio 3
Aptana Studio is the best source for web application Integrated Development Environment (IDE). It is a free HTML editor and convenient to use for the users of Linux, macOS and Windows.
- This HTML editor is highly customizable.
- It contains numerous protocols like Capistrano, FTPS, FTP and SFTP as well.
- Get work done quicker by building out entire projects or isolating code to test features and animations.
- Build and deploy a website, show off your work, build test cases to learn and debug, and find inspiration.
Kompozer is a type of WYSIWYG editor. This HTML editor is available in the free version. It is the best option for beginners who are looking forward to creating an attractive website with a professional touch.
- Editing via WYSIWYG editor is easy with this app.
- Customizable is easily available.
- It contains an in-line spell checker.
NoteTab provides free service to the users of Windows as well as Linux. However, this version is a paid version. This HTML editor is comparatively faster than any other HTML editor.
- It contains an autocomplete feature for inserting tags.
- With this editor, multiple page handling is too easy.
- Insert code snippets.
Another most well-known HTML editor for the Mac user is the BareBonesEdit. It contains high-quality features for editing, manipulating and searching the texts.
- BareBonesEdit provides a user-friendly interface.
- It contains an auto code completion feature along with an auto text completion option.
- It also has an in-built spell check option.
CotEditor is the free HTML editor and is specially designed for the users of Mac. It contains Syntax highlighting options for the main languages such as HTML, Python, PHP and Ruby.
- This HTML editor contains string replace as well as a search feature.
- It also provides users with automated backups while the users are editing.
Microsoft Visual Studio Community provides a visual IDE to aid the users to begin with creating applications for the mobiles, desktops and webs. It is the latest version of Visual Studio Express.
- It supports updated features and is friendly to the beginners.
- Availability of a wide range of programming languages.
With Google Web Designer, the user can easily create engaging and attractive content. It helps you to utilize interactive as well as animated elements to uplift your content.
- It provides a dynamic workflow.
- It highly supports responsive ads.
- This HTML editor offers various types of video as well as display ad formats.
TinyMCE is one of the well-known HTML editors. It provides the best text editing platform for the web developer. The user can easily integrate TinyMCE with jQuery, RAILS, Angular and so on.
- It is highly configurable.
- It provides dynamic uploading for the files.
CKEditor is one of the smart WYSIWYG editors. It permits the user to paste writings from tables, Excel, Words and so on. The users can customize this HTML editor according to their needs.
- It provides many attractive features like widgets, auto-complete and so on.
- It also offers strong accessibility to compliant, WCAG 2.0 AA and Section 508.
Froala is the next-gen WYSIWYG HTML editor that’s easy for developers to integrate, and its clean design makes you feel good.
- It offers a very powerful and easy-to-use JS text editor for developers.
- Froala is used in 100 countries and several languages, including Asian and Oriental languages.
Setka Editor allows a novice to typeset simple, neat posts without the help of a professional, and advanced designers are limited only by their imaginations.
- It provides many attractive features like widgets, auto-complete and so on.
- It is free to use and very feature-rich.
- It also has an in-built spell check option.
35. Editor .js
- It is gradually taking its place on the server with nodejs in particular.
- It is a block-styled editor
- It returns clean data output in JSON
- Designed to be extendable and pluggable with a simple API
Available for free on Github, Quill is an open-source editor supported by over 26,000 active users. Quill offers great visual editing classics, images, videos, or mathematical formulas.
- Quill supports all modern browsers: its behaviour is the same everywhere
- The HTML produced works on desktops, tablets, and phones.
- Quill is a free, open source WYSIWYG editor built for the modern web.
37. TextPad Editor
If you work for a client who wants complex HTML formatting, you run the risk of making a few errors or omissions in your tags. We often forget a bar (a slash) or a hook. This type of typing error goes unnoticed even with careful proofreading: the formatting of the Text is then compromised.
This is why the Textbroker system checks your texts before you submit them. If you made a mistake on the HTML tags, you get an error message along with an indication of where the incorrect tag is. You can then correct it.
- TextPad are available in English, Deutsch, Español, Français, Italiano, Nederlands, Polski, Português, 日本語 and 한국어.
- It is an interactive tool for power users to make the same edits to a set of plain text files in a folder hierarchy.
This simple and uncluttered HTML editor has a syntactic colour code and an auto-completion feature. Also, it is possible to edit multiple documents in different tabs simultaneously.
- Notepad++ is the greatest and most powerful source code editor platform.
- Support a wide number of coding languages and formats, such as JSON, HTML, and JS, among many others.
39. Phase 5
This HTML editor designed in an extremely clear manner offers many comfort features, such as a syntactic colour code and a correction aid. Moreover, the code can also be loaded in the browser interface.
- For private users such as schools and associations, the use of this software is completely free.
- This HTML editor is only available for Windows users.
NVU is a WYSIWYG editor also suitable for creating websites. Integrated FTP upload software allows the created HTML page to be uploaded directly to the Internet. Its direct successor, which has the same features, is KompoZer.
- These programs can be used on Windows, Linux, and iOS.
- NVU and KompoZer are free
Overall, these are the best HTML editors available in today’s market. It is very important to choose an HTML editor wisely to get the best features to write and create new websites. Before choosing an HTML editor you should keep in mind the built-in functionality, additional libraries, etc. so that you can work conveniently.
Originally published on 28 October 2020 and updated on 7 February 2022